By car: 14 km from highway: from lavra along the Karl-Marx str. and Vifanskaya str. until the turn to Ogorodnaya str., then along Novoogorodnaya str.; by bys: from lavra by rout taxi 7, 30, 37 to “Ferma” stop or by bus 38 to “Skit” stop.
A skit of Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius is in 3 km north-east from Lavra on the north ban of eastern gulf og the upper skit pond.
An idea of creation of “Russian Gethsemane” came to minds of clergy many times.
Gethsemane Garden is the favorite place for prayers to Jesus Christ. Moreover, here died Mary. A sanctuary that holds a name like this one must be holy for every Orthodox Christian.
Gethsemane skit was founded in 1843-184. In 1847, famous Moscow fool of God Phillipushka who lived here once moved to Isakovskaya grove. This year is considered to be the year of Chernigovsky skit foundation. After Philippushka had asked for permission to dig a little cellar, he begun to build his underground cell according to model of Kiev Pechersk Lavra.
On September 27, 1851, Metropolitan Filaret blessed underground church in honor of archangel Michael and other bodiless powers.
In 1852, Aleksandra Grigoryevna Filippova gave her icon of Chigirin Madonna to cell church. Legend says that in 1869 this icon healed paralyzed countrywoman and afterwards made more than 100 miracles and healings. Skit was named after this icon in 1980s.
Chernigovsky Cathedral (1886 — 1889) stands in the center of architectural ensemble composition. Under the cathedral lies underground cell church made in 1851. In 1856-1857, here was built spacious frater house of cave church with arched ceiling so that initial church of 1851 became an altar. Today cell church is completely reconstructed.