Moscow

Walk Architecture

Biblioteka imeni Lenina 400 m, Aleksandrovskiy sad 560 m, Borovitskaya 580 m 1/9 bldg 8, Kremlevskaya Embankment

Tower Blagoveschenskaya

1
3

A tower on the embankment between Vodovoznaya and Tainitskaya towers

The name of the tower comes from the name of icon “Blagoveschenie” (the Annunciation).

It was built during the reign of Ivan the Terrible in 1488 by a master from North Italia Antonio Gislardi (Anton Fryazin). In 1680 a stone rectangular tent with a decorative observation tower was constructed above the main quadrangular frame.

In 1731, a church of the Announcement (Blagoveshenie) was built near the tower on a design of Schädel: an observation tower was changed into a bell tower with seven bells, and a weathercock was substituted with a rood.

Until 1831 there were the gates in the tower that provided excess to the bank of the river Moscow for linen laundry. The rests of the gates can be seen from the inner side of the Kremlin wall.

In 1866, the tower was renovated and used as a side-chapel and its arrow loops were widened.

In 1933, during the renovation of the tower by architect Vinogadov, the church of the Announcement was pulled down, its arrow loops narrowed again and rood was substituted with a weathercock.

Rate it:

To attach a video you just need to paste the link to it in the comment field. This feature applies to videos hosted on YouTube or Vimeo.

Contacts

Biblioteka imeni Lenina 400 m, Aleksandrovskiy sad 560 m, Borovitskaya 580 m
Moscow, 1/9 bldg 8, Kremlevskaya Embankment
Map

For place owners

Detailed description and photoshoot
This place was viewed 290 times

1 person likes this place:

Людмила

Architecture nearby address «1/9 bldg 8, Kremlevskaya Embankment»

Gallery Tretyakov Gallery

860 m

Medieval Tsar Residence Moscow Kremlin

Visit the symbol of Russian statehood

320 m

Cathedral & Museum St. Basil's

Feast your eyes on architectural symbol of Moscow

650 m

Palace in the Kremlin Terem Palace

Terem palace was built in 1636 on order of tszar Mikhail I Fyodorovich Romanov (1596 –1645)

240 m

Chamber Faceted Chamber

The main ceremonial reception hall of the Grand Palace

210 m

Institute > strelka

A free postgraduate program of interdisciplinary researches about a city

800 m

Museum Historical Museum

The largest national historic museum in Russia

740 m

House Dom Pertsovoy

880 m

Embankment Crimean

1.5 km

House & Museum of the house Melnikov House

House-studio of the architect Melnikov, a world-famous masterpiece of the Soviet avant-garde

1.5 km

Kremlin Spassky Tower

The most interesting tower of Moscow Kremlin with chimes and Christ in icons

570 m

Сhurch Ivan The Great

The tallest building in Moscow Kremlin

150 m

Other architecture in Moscow

Creative Center Arma Factory

Building Zotov Bakery Plant

Former bakery plant No 5 and an architectural heritage that soon will house apartments

House House of 1000 aprtm.

This ‘Ship-building’ was built in 1970-1980s for Ministry of Atomic Energy

Building Hohloma house

Painting on bar and store in Stoleshnikov Lane by Denis Simachyov

Railway station Kievskiy vokzal

One of the most beautiful railway stations

Gas station Кremlevka

A rare memorial of utilitarian art deco. Even now government cars are filled here.

House Pogodinskaya Izba

Timber blocking in Khamovniki District made in traditions of Russian architecture

House Mansion of Kekushevy

A house of architect Kekushev which was built in 1900-1903

Building Svoboda Factory Club

This Club was built for employees of ‘Svoboda’ factory in 1927-1929

Building Near the Red Gates

Administrative and living building near the Red Gates

Palace Amusement Palace

The palace was built in 1651